What we did at the Community Garden at Holy Nativity:
- Removed lawn.
- Waited for regrowth.
- Dug out regrowth. (We did rototill after regrowth removal.)
- Marked the footpaths and defined growing spaces. We have variously used wood, plastic edging, and rocks, depending upon what was available.
- Composted (using material from a clean source) into the growing spaces only. Hand-tilled, and avoided walking on them thereafter.
- Added beneficial microbes (We used Root Zone Beneficial Microbes from Bountiful Gardens)
- Added worm castings (fresh, from vendor at farmers’ market
- Used legume inoculant (nitrogen-fixing bacteria) for several growing seasons
Next section: "Rocks and bones"